Some couples choose to each recite the same vows while some prefer to use different vows. There is no right or wrong way to do it. Similarly, some prefer repeat the vows after the officiant while some memorize them. Again, this is completely up to the couple.
In the examples below, gendered terms such as husband or wife have been replaced with [spouse]. You may choose replace [spouse] with the term of your choice.
1. I, [Name], promise you, [Name], that I will be your [spouse] from this day forward, to be faithful and honest in every way, to honor the faith and trust you place in me, to love and respect you...Read More
2. I, [Name], take you, [Name], to be my [spouse], to love you, to cherish you, to help you and honor you, to give you comfort and understanding in whatever the future may bring, in confidence th...Read More
3. Today, I join my life to yours. From this day on, I will be your partner and companion, for you are my dearest love and my best friend. I look forward to the joy we will find in each other’s s...Read More
4. I, [Name], take you, [Name], to be no other than yourself loving what I know of you trusting what I do not yet know with respect for your integrity and faith in your love for me through all our yea...Read More
5. I, [Name], take you, [Name], to be my [spouse], to have and to hold from this day forward; for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, ti...Read More
6. I, [Name], do take you, [Name], To be the [spouse] of my days The friend of my life We shall bear together Whatever trouble and sorrow Life may lay upon us. And we shall share together All t...Read More
7. I, [Name], promise before family and friends, to commit my love to you, [Name], I promise to speak truthfully and lovingly to you, to respect your individuality and encourage your fulfillment, to c...Read More
8. [Name], In you I have found a friend, a lover, A companion on life’s path. You have become the single most important person in my life. With you I have experienced more happiness, more love an...Read More
9. I, [Name], take you, [Name], exactly as you are, to be my [spouse] and my best friend. I love what I know of you. I trust what I do not yet know. I respect you and have faith in your love for me th...Read More
10. Today, [Name], I accept you for who you are: the wo/man I love. For the honor of your hand in marriage, I vow to be your partner in life, to make you smile when you are sad, to lift you when you a...Read More
11. [Name], today I take you to be no other than who you are, the wo/man I fell in love with, and now you give me the honor of being able to call you my [spouse].For that honor I promise to alway...Read More
12. [Name], today I choose to make a deeper commitment to you.It is my way of telling you that our experiences together have been so good that I want them to continue for the rest of my life.I...Read More
13. Spouse 1: Today, I join my life to yours. From this day on, I will be your partner and companion, for you are my dearest love and my best friend.Spouse 2: I look forward to the joy we will fin...Read More
14. Before our family and friends, without reservation of any kind I say to you, [Name], I love you. I need you. I promise to unfailingly share and support your hopes and dreams and goals. I will be t...Read More
15. Today is a culmination and a beginning. It is the ceremonial confirmation of what my heart already knows: That you are my one true love, my best friend, and the person I was meant to share my li...Read More
16. From this day forward, I pledge to live each day with your happiness as my guiding thought.I will listen to your words, your actions, and your thoughts as though they were my own because they ...Read More
17. [Name], I used to be afraid of falling in love, of giving my heart away.How could I trust a wo/man to love me, to give to me all that I wanted to give to him/her? When I met you, I realized ho...Read More
Sample wedding scripts are based, in whole or in part, on a sample ceremonies from the Humanist Society and are used with permission.